Collaboration is a powerful tool that has helped in improving learning and enhances academic work by discovering a new perspective in learning resources. The education field can be an isolating one but recognizing that collaboration help reduces this and is also a skill which requires time and strategic planning, one can quickly learn this skill. Collaboration is a skill that is required in our workforce and it’s a tool with which lots can be accomplished when the focus is in place. Educators can accomplish this skill by partnering with trusted and respected peers, thus creating a managerial atmosphere to share knowledge and ideas.
For acquiring this skill effectively, here are the five key aspects to enhance collaboration
- Collaboration requires trust: While trying to collaborate it is important to build trust in the relationship and an essential part is to collaborate with a peer that is committed to improving learning and teaching. Inquiring about your collaboration partners’ learning and their classroom is a good way to know how they think. Respecting your learning partners’ ideas, opinions, and perspective will help in maintaining a productive learning process.
- Focus on student learning: Engaging in activities that would improve students learning, like walking through lesson plans and planning learning activity, most often this signifies a successful collaboration, as this often leads to improving teaching methods, which would meet students needs.
- Manageable collaboration: The aim of collaborating is to share workloads rather than doubling effort, to make collaboration manageable partners must recognize their strength and interest before planning or setting goals- these goals should be approached in small achievable steps so it doesn’t feel overwhelming, with time the team should start to see changes.
- Collaboration should be supportive: Being supportive create a long-lasting professional and mentorship relationship. Engaging in give-and-take discussions, exchanging ideas and opinions educators can find solutions to probing questions. Effective communication plays a major role when it comes to supporting collaboration.
- Privacy: It is important to work with your learning partner on what you will like to share what works for you and the audience you will like to share with. Sharing this creates a friendly environment where educators learn from each other. For this to happen our ideas on privacy need to be challenged to improve collaboration influence.
Collaboration makes it possible for teachers to learn from each other to bring about improved learning process for students across all boards.